Winter is coming.
–Game of Thrones, (2011)
There’s only a few months left in 2017. With that, I’m going to give everyone my Southern Potato Soup recipe.
Looks like any other soup, what makes it Southern?
Did you look at the ingredients? Full flavor. Fats, Starches, and Meats. Down South we like our food to have serious flavor, we don’t care about how fat it’s gonna make you.
My friends on Facebook have had access to this since 2014, as I published it as a note (back when notes were a thing). A few have made it and told me it’s “the absolute bomb”. I’m also told it’s great when you’re sick. Leftovers are better than the day of, never figured out why, but it’s true.
(feeds 5-10…or less)
- 2 Onions; chopped small
- 1 stick Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 5 lbs Red Potatoes; cut, skin on
- 2 boxes Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Cream
- 3-4 cups Shredded Cheese
- Ground Pepper
- 2 packages Bacon
- Sour Cream
- Cut bacon in 1″ pieces, fry and set aside.
- Sauté onion in butter. When the onions turn clear, add flour to make a paste.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes; Boil until potatoes are soft (can you stick a toothpick in it easily?).
- Add cream, pepper, and ½ the bacon; Simmer until hot, then add cheese.
- Continue to simmer a bit to melt the cheese. Remove from heat, it’ll thicken as it cools.
Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and bacon. Trust me, you’ll want to add MORE once it’s in front of you.
If you make it, let us know on our Facebook Page!